The Shopify Affiliate Program – Introduction
The Shopify affiliate program is one of the highest affiliate programs on the web at the moment. I’ve been making close to $1,500 a month using it!
In this article, you’ll learn how the Shopify affiliate program works (payouts, pros, and cons) and how to join it.
The video below will give you a succinct tutorial on the exact steps you need to follow to become a Shopify affiliate.
Keep reading the article below for more detail and also an extended look into elements of the program.
How Does The Shopify Affiliate Program Work?
Basically, you earn by promoting the Shopify platform. When new customers use your affiliate link to make a purchase, Shopify pays you a 200% commission every time.
I’m often asked what are my favorite affiliate programs and which am I making the most money from. It depends on the type of products you will promote. I recommend Amazon Affiliates for promoting physical products. However, one of the highest paying affiliate programs for digital products that I am currently making from is the Shopify affiliate program.
Shopify Affiliate Program Payouts – How much can you make?
Shopify’s most basic plan is at $29. Shopify affiliate earn $58 for every $29 plan customers purchase! The advanced plan goes as high as $299. When a person uses your affiliate link to sign up for the advanced plan, you get $598 back. This means you could be earning $600 per person when they sign up using your affiliate link.
I have been tracking my progress with the program for the past 12-13 months.
To show you how much I’ve made at this time, and to give you an insight into how much you can make, take a look at my Shopify payout screen:
Benefits Of The Shopify Affiliate Program
The Shopify affiliate program offers many benefits for beginning and experienced marketers:
- You receive large commissions, especially during the first two months. Earn $58 on average for each new referral that joins a paid plan and $2000 for each Shopify Plus referral. Shopify even nurtures the referrals to help increase the chances of earning a commission.
- Shopify offers multiple ways to earn commissions. You can refer new customers, sell themes to existing Shopify users, or develop and sell your own apps on the Shopify App Store.
- Gain access to marketing resources, training, and an affiliate dashboard. If you are new to affiliate marketing, you benefit from a vast collection of helpful content including tutorials and training courses.
- Shopify provides priority support. As a Shopify Partner, you get fast support via email, phone, or live chat. You even get a dedicated Affiliate Manager to help walk you through any issues.
- Shopify makes it easier to market its services, giving Shopify Partners access to a wide range of linkable content. Use blogs, video tutorials, webinars, and automated funnels to help attract new referrals.
- You get to promote a quality product through the Shopify Affiliate Program. Shopify offers a reliable eCommerce solution designed for everyone from bloggers to large
businesses, allowing you to honestly promote the value of their plans.
Negatives Of The Shopify Affiliate Program
Signing up for the Shopify affiliate program is a great way to earn large commissions but it does have a few potential drawbacks:
- The cost of the plans may deter some users. After you refer a new user, the user needs to choose a paid plan before you earn a commission. Due to the costs, many users bail after the 14-day trial period ends.
- Joining the program provides access to helpful Shopify apps to increase your marketing potential but many of the apps require monthly fees. Some of the apps are available as free plugins on other platforms such as WooCommerce or WordPress.
- Building themes requires developers to learn Liquid. Selling Shopify themes to
existing users is one of the ways to earn a commission but requires the use of the Liquid templating language. While the language is open source, not a lot of people use it, limiting the available documentation for building Shopify themes.
- The approval process for the may take up to five business days. While Shopify approves most applications, the company denies some users for a variety of reasons. Shopify may deny your application if you run an affiliate network, promote a coupon or discount website, or try to promote Shopify on a gambling or gaming website.
Shopify Affiliate Program Payment Frequency
Payouts are made to you every two weeks. When I started out, I was getting $29 every two weeks. There have been months where I’ve made $174, $290, $348 and even $666. It starts small and then just grows. It also sort of reflects how Shopify is growing as a platform.
If you are targeting an audience who is interested, Shopify affiliate program can turn out to be very fruitful for you and it can really pay you out some significant income.
How To Join The Shopify Affiliate Program
Shopify affiliate program is completely free to join. You can sign up for the program using this link. Once you are done, Shopify will provide you with a unique affiliate link. Whenever someone uses your link to join the Shopify platform as an online store or retailer you get a $200 commission payout.
Shopify Affiliate Program – Wrap Up
What I have learned from the Shopify Affiliate Program is that if you are genuinely promoting a product that people are interested in and passionate about, that’s going to show through. You become successful by creating authentic content to an audience that shares the same interests and passions as you.
Promote good products that you are genuinely passionate about to a passionate audience and you are halfway there to seeing your affiliate success.
If you have made any success using any affiliate program, do let us know in the comments section.